
It has been a while since I have posted and will catch in a couple of days. However, today I want to pay tribute to my Great Grandma Bunn. Today would have been her 89th birthday. She passed away 2 years ago this September. It doesn't seem like it has been that long, and then other days it seems like it has been forever since I saw her face and hugged her. She was such a wonderful woman. I was always in awe of all she went through as she grew up. She lost both of her parents by age nine, and was passed around the family after that. She lived through the Depression, and had 5 beautiful daughters. She lost her husband, and went through the heartache and pain of having to say goodbye to him. Even with the pain and struggles that she went through, I remember her humor, her love, and her sweet smile. I remember her love of dolls, and crocheting. She was so talented. She crocheted doll dresses for all her dolls, some were so small I couldn't believe she could have made them.
She was diagnosed with a terminal brain tumor in the last few months of her life. I remember when I had gone to her home to give her medication before and after church. I was so sad to see her memory struggling. Days after that the realization was made that she could no longer live on her own. When I heard this news the thought came to my mind, "Am I my brothers keeper?" I talked it over with Brian and we decided that if she would allow it we would invite her to live in our home and take care of her the remainder of her days. I remember being at my Grandma Spark's home when the hospice nurse was going over the options that they had with her daughters. I asked Grandma Bunn and her daughters if she could come and live with our family. I was so glad that the answer was yes! So we moved Lily and Cloey into our room, Melisa had her room and now Grandma Bunn had hers. Yes it was a very full house, but it was so full of love and I would have had it no other way. I will never forget the memories of the late night stories and talks she had with Brian and I. She had hard time at first, she missed her home very much, and I felt terrible that she could not go back. I hope that we gave her all the happiness and love that she so greatly deserved in her last two months. I know that I have grown so much from that experience, as did my family. Lily and Cloey have memories of her that they might not have otherwise had. Every time they hear a song by Enya that we played in her room after she slipped into a coma they both scream "It's Grandma Button's song!" That always makes me smile and think of how I wish we could have had more time.
I want to say thank you to all the family who came over and visited her. She really appreciated it. I especially want to thank my husband for all his support and love that he gave not only me but Grandma Bunn as well. But, I really want to thank my Grandma Sparks and Aunt Renee. They came over almost every day! They were there to tuck her in, to help her and love her. I am so grateful for their help and for the sacrifices they made to take care of their mom. I love them so much. I miss my Great Grandma very much, I am so blessed to have been able to take care of her and to have known her. Not only known her, but to have had her as my Great Grandma!
No comments:
Post a Comment